Re: Fwd: autochange and tuplet brackets

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Fwd: autochange and tuplet brackets
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 10:40:59 +0100

Simon Bailey <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 9:55 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Well, it _does_ occur in real music, as you have shown us.
>>
>> The smiley would appear to indicate he has been indulging in a bit of
>> facetiousness directed against canned responses.
>
> yes, this was a comment made with tongue firmly in cheek. :) the
> original version delivered by the composer did not have cross-staff
> beams and rests under the tuplet beams in both hands. i feel that my
> notation is less complex for the player, but not being a pianist, i'm
> not sure if it would be considered the "correct" way to do it. if not,
> i'm open to suggestions on how better to notate this section. i
> haven't consulted gould on the matter yet, but will do so this
> evening.
>
> all that aside -- the tuplet brackets do not work very well by default
> for this case, so my original question still remains: bug or extreme
> border case?

I don't see why it cannot be both.  An "extreme border case" should only
be able to show bad results when the bad results correspond to one
possible interpretation of the input.

The extremeness of the circumstances might play into the priority with
which a fix is sought.  It does not change whether something is a bug or
not.

--
David Kastrup