Re: Upbeat as full measure or not?

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Upbeat as full measure or not?
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 14:00:25 +0200

Furthermore, there is the rule that, if there is an upbeat, upbeat and last measure of the piece must add up to one full bar. I’m not sure where it comes from and how widely it is obeyed, but at least for a “classical” period in the 18th to 20th centuries it’s to be regarded as standard. So as the last measure of the piece referred to contains a whole note, I’d rather not write an upbeat, but fill it up to make the first measure. What’s more, I think an upbeat of three quarter notes’ length is hard to grasp at first sight and thus irritates the reader.
HTH, Simon