Re: losing a bar number when the first beat is irregular

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: losing a bar number when the first beat is irregular
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 21:55:57 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Son_V" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, October 04, 2014 8:22 PM

If a piece starts with an incomplete measure this measure doesn't have a
number

Well, thanks. I've searched on "beyond bars" 2011 ed. but I wasn't able to
find a reference to this problem. Nor I was able to found a way in the
index: no "irregular beats". Maybe it's hidden in another chapter.
But I thought I should make like I saw in the score I'm transcribing (and I
admit I'm only a beginner, a newbie). And that should mean that some
commercial sheet music are realized without respecting some basic rules, and that they can confuse a beginner like me; isn't it, what do you say? Thanks
again.

The rule for setting music is that a bar that is just an upbeat, or anacrusis, does not count for bar numbering. The first bar is the first full bar.

--
Phil Holmes