Re: losing a bar number when the first beat is irregular

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: losing a bar number when the first beat is irregular
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2014 22:01:54 +0100

On Sat, 2014-10-04 at 20:54 +0200, Urs Liska wrote:
> Am 04.10.2014 20:40, schrieb Son_V:
> > Sorry, I can't understand; with MuseScore I see the bar numbers as
> > "correct",
> > as far I can understand. The first beat, that have just one note, is not
> > numbered, but the following one is labelled by the number "2". I thought
> > that this was correct. In Lilypond, the bar numbers are all a -1 in respect
> > to the MuseScore output. Maybe it's not correct, in terms of bar numbering
> > rules? I don't know and I'm too tiry to search in Behind bars.
> > Thanks.
>
> Then it seems Musescore is doing it the wrong way
As I say, I was intrigued enough to fire up Musescore and check, and it
was getting it right. By default it puts numbers at the start of lines,
so you have to put in enough bars for two lines and count up to make
sure. So I made a big right margin to make quite sure I was counting
rightly. There are a lot of poor quality computer typesets out there
that get all sorts of things wrong, but we can't blame Musescore for
this I think.

Richard