Re: How do new users feel about LilyPond's documentation?

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: How do new users feel about LilyPond's documentation?
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 21:39:22 +0100

On 22/04/15 20:19, N. Andrew Walsh wrote:
> I don't see anywhere in the reference or the manual where that sort of
> comprehensive style guide is presented. I'm thinking something like the
> doorstops O'Reilly's uses for documenting, say, HTML. I hate to use the
> term (it's already been ruined by bureaucrats), but what I'm really
> looking for is a comprehensive "best practices" style guide for how to
> organize larger scores.

What I'd like to see is worked, documented examples. The lsr is great is
some respects, but I do a load of band parts. A complete PD part (Sousa
is, I believe, PD, Kenneth Alford died in 1945 so at the end of this
year his work falls out of the 70 year rule ...) would be great, and
showcase a lot of useful techniques.

I also keep seeing a lot of stuff about "separating notes from layout".
I try to do that, but again, a documented example would be great. My big
involvement with lilypond when I was learning was the 2.4/2.6 era so my
style is stuck in that era - I think things have changed a lot since
then so a documented example would be great ...

Cheers,
Wol