Re: Standard LilyPond score structure (Was: How do new users feel about

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Standard LilyPond score structure (Was: How do new users feel about LilyPond's documentation?)
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 02:59:18 +0000

On 4/22/15 6:53 PM, "Kieren MacMillan" <address@hidden>
wrote:

>Hi Gilles,
>
>> Yet you long for <some_tool> that would know how to remove a set of
>> bars from "That Production" project. :-P
>> A tool could do that *if* it knew what structure to expect.
>
>I don¹t believe that¹s necessaryŠ but we can leave that aside for now,
>since the technical investigation required to determine whether my
>intuition is correct isn¹t worth it at this stage of the discussion.
>
>> By default, standardization is a Good Thing.
>
>I agree 100%. (But, as an aside, many people wouldn¹t!)

Flexibility is also a Good Thing.  And standardization and flexibility are
always at odds with one another.

Similarly, brevity is a Good Thing.  And obviousness is a good thing.  And
brevity and obviousness are often at odds with one another.

The tradeoffs between these conflicting objectives are hard to make, and
opinions will differ on what the best solution is.

So we try to make the best decisions we can.

Thanks,

Carl