Re: can InstrumentName padding centered according to the longest instrum

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: can InstrumentName padding centered according to the longest instrument name?
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 08:11:07 -0500

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 8:06 AM, David Nalesnik <address@hidden> wrote:

One problem that Kieren noticed is evident in the last example   When the padding is set to 0, all names are as far right as they can go and still be properly aligned one to another.  When, however, the padding is changed, inconsistencies are seen.  With padding = 1, we would expect "Sop./Bar." on the second system to be the same distance from the system-edge as "Piano" is from its bracket on the last system--that is the goal of this function.  Yet there is inconsistency, and this inconsistency varies when padding is adjusted.

It seems that padding is reckoned somewhere else by LilyPond, and that that reckoning is interfering with the usage of padding in this function.

My guess is that padding is reckoned by LilyPond from the edge of the staff, not the brackets and braces sticking out to the left.  For our purposes, we obviously want padding to add a predictable distance from whatever sticks out the most.

DN