Re: mute percussion notation

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: mute percussion notation
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 13:35:24 -0600

On 16-03-21 12:50 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
Bernard <address@hidden> writes:

For me cgh  in deep link
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/ff/lily-6bb651bc.ly
[image of music]

And cghm in in deep link
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/80/lily-6aae8ef4.ly

[image of music]
Both found in
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/percussion-notes
For me they look equal.
David wrote:
Harm was _explicitly_ talking about congas-style, namely
<URL:http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/9f/lily-90919e1b.png>,
in section
<URL:http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/common-notation-for-percussion#percussion-staves>.

It seems that the Percussion Notes table A.15 in the NR has some problems, in that the conga notes aren't visibly different. This snippet works for me:
*****************
\version "2.19.37"

\new DrumStaff  \with {
  drumStyleTable  = #congas-style
}
 <<
  \drummode {
     cghm4 cghm1 % muted
    \bar "||"
      cgh4 cgh1 % open
    }

which suggests the solution for Bernard will simply involve setting the drumStyleTable. The more general concern would probably require review/fixing of the table, and possibly some change to the examples in NR 2.5.1 Percussion Staves, to show or clarify the use of drumStyleTable for the simple case (it already shows creating custom staves). I have no knowledge of that part of LilyPond, so I'll await guidance on creating an issue for a doc change.

Cheers,
Colin

--
A man should never be ashamed to say he has been wrong, which is but saying in other words that he is wiser today than he was yesterday.
-Alexander Pope