Re: [OT] Scribal abbreviations (Was: Re: Using strings and other types t

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: [OT] Scribal abbreviations (Was: Re: Using strings and other types to return markup)
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 12:13:41 +1000

Hi Graham and Phil,

On 12/05/2016, 3:28 AM, "lilypond-user on behalf of Graham King" <address@hidden on behalf of address@hidden> wrote:

Strictly speaking, I think we're talking about a macron, rather than a tilda.  It's not just macrons of course: Phil is dabbling in the wonderful world of scribal abbreviations.

I agree. I think it’s a macron indicating an elided n or m that Phil has got.

An introduction to scribal abbreviations, a very fascinating rabbit hole:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scribal_abbreviation

Andrew