Re: Changing voice order...

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Changing voice order...
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2016 16:43:19 +0100

On 2016-11-02 14:56, Noeck wrote:
Am 02.11.2016 um 14:48 schrieb David Kastrup:
>This particular one is... horrific.
In most of the cases the author should just have used chords instead of
voices.
My guess that the intention was to stay as close to Bach's manuscripts as possible. I have used similar tricks to imitate the composers layout for "chords" with separate stems per note, when typesetting other baroque music. The stem order can indeed provide hints on how the composers wanted the chords to be broken, which is lost if you use standard modern typesetting practice chords. A famous example of a modern edition trying to imitate the original manuscript in this respect is late Werner Icking's typesetting of Bach's Violin Sonatas and Partitas (though done using MusiXTeX, not LilyPond), see http://imslp.org/wiki/6_Violin_Sonatas_and_Partitas,_BWV_1001-1006_(Bach,_Johann_Sebastian), bottom of the page.

I clearly support the proposal to change of the voice order to a more logical top to bottom structure, even though it would break some of my LilyPond code.

/Mats

        Mats Bengtsson, Prof.
        Signal Processing
        School of Electrical Engineering