Re: Tips on quick entry

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Tips on quick entry
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2017 14:52:23 +0000

On Fri, 2017-01-06 at 14:59 -0700, SoundsFromSound wrote:
> tyronicus wrote
> > Hello list,
> >
> > It takes me ages to enter the note data into LilyPond. Last night I spent
> > almost an hour a page just getting notes and lyrics in. Does anyone have
> > any tips for quick entry? I do have a midi keyboard but haven't tried it
> > much. It seems slow because I have to switch back and forth with the
> > computer keyboard to do articulations, durations, etc.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Sam

> Hello,
>
> I recently made an in-depth video tutorial on how to input music fast with
> LilyPond and your MIDI keyboard, as well as use Frescobaldi for very quick
> input (articulations, dynamics, hairpins, etc). If you're interested here is
> the link:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdA1NLcBxLo

That's a lovely looking video! You didn't mention controlling the rhythm
of the notes that you play in, but you did cover chord entry.

By contrast my video
https://vimeo.com/61994482

looks quite crummy and doesn't cover chord entry - I used to use the
sustain pedal to indicate that the notes played should all be in one
chord, but now I hold down the Alt key - you can do either in Denemo.
The problem with depending on the timing of the ons and offs is that
played musically notes which are intended to be sequential can often not
be so, quite - not a problem I guess if you are playing in slowly,
changing the duration each time it alters.

Richard