Re: Multiple markings

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: Multiple markings
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2017 14:57:09 +0000

On 07/02/17 14:33, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> Hi Wols,
>
>> Before then :-) - some time last century :-)
>
> Is there anyone on the list who can verify when this was a problem? i.e.,
> which version it stopped being a problem.
> I’m seriously curious!
>
>> I started using lily with 2.4, and I was forever cursing that "feature”.
>
> Hmm… I started with 2.1, and I honestly don’t remember having this problem!

It was probably "work-around-able" back then, I just couldn't do it. I
think I was probably pointed at stuff, but iirc it was along the lines
of "write this code that's a mix of lilypond and scheme and it'll work"
and I just couldn't get my head round it. I can be a bit grumpy at times
as I'm sure you well know :-) and for something as basic as multiple
marks on a barline, well I know I did get very grumpy over it! :-)

Not helped, of course, because almost invariably I wanted to combine
another mark with \mark \default, and even now I find Scheme a bit
frightening :-) At heart I'm a "database and C/FORTRAN" guy, so lily's
internals are another world :-)

>> I thought you wrote the code that sorted it.
>
> Definitely not (though I wish I could write Lilypond at that level!). You are
> probably thinking of the syntactic sugar I’ve sprinkled on the list over the
> years to handle fancy tempo markings, spacing issues between \mark and \tempo
> grobs, etc.

Almost certainly. And I'm extremely grateful for it :-) - it's turned
what I considered almost a show-stopper problem into something that's
relatively simple (if you can say that about any complex formatting in
lily :-)

> Cheers,
> Kieren.

Cheers,