Re: quoteDuring with lyrics

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: quoteDuring with lyrics
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2017 22:53:45 +0200

> Hi all,
>
> [Harm:]
>>> the lyrics of sopL are all entered with default-duration:
>>> and addQuote works with this default-duration.
>
> Ah… of course. Thanks.
>
>>> You could circumvent it by entering durations in sopL. It wouldn't
>>> disturb addlyrics or lyricsto, afaik, but addQuote would have the
>>> chance to work as you expect. Though, I have my doubts you would want
>>> to do so.
>
> I'm working on this piece with an eye towards having, at the end of
> the process, a nice example/system/framework/method that I can share
> with the 'Pond. As such, I guess I'll have to figure out which is more
> desirable: saving the effort of entering explicit durations, or having
> quotable lyrics.
>
> [David K:]
>> Entering lyrics with durations actually saves a lot of headaches
>
> Beyond this issue, what other headache-savings can you point to?

Not having to bother with melismata and slurs and autobeaming and
whatnot.  Also, the Midi lyrics are not magically different for some
reason (it does help that autobeaming defaults are now the same in Midi
and Layout: that wasn't always so and it affected lyrics associations).

> If I'm ultimately recommending a more typing-intensive method to other
> users, I'd like to at least have some carrots to back up my stick**.

I think it is a bit similar to using \relative versus \fixed et al: you
don't have to coax something to work in a purportedly simpler way
depending more on local details.

It's not really a good sell unless you have been bitten often enough.

--
David Kastrup