Re: Fermatas with tremolos

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Fermatas with tremolos
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 00:04:05 +0100

Hi Harm,

thanks for the help.

On 19.02.2018 23:47, Thomas Morley wrote:
Also, following links may be of interest. They provide excerpts of an
old and new edition of Janacek, Glagolitic Mass.
http://notovodstvo.ru/forum/fermata/tremolo_fermata_old.gif
http://notovodstvo.ru/forum/fermata/tremolo_fermata_new.gif

Very much of interest. As so often, I find this comparison almost heart-rending. The old engraving is so beautiful and loveable, and the new one so cold and mishapen – how could anyone prefer to use the new one[1]? …

Best, Simon

[1] Probably, they don’t; but I’ll assume there was need for a critical edition, and someone thought it was a good idea to reengrave the whole thing instead of fixing whatever issues by graphically amending the old engraving, in respect for its abounding virtues; and now often performers are stuck with such reengravings… AAAARGH!