lmi

Re: [lmi] Migration to git

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Migration to git
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 19:52:42 +0200

On Fri, 20 May 2016 17:09:22 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> > 1. Do we want to have git-svn-id metadata in the new repository? I think
it
GC> >    could be useful as there are quite a few references to the existing
GC> >    revisions in the history and they use just "NNNN" for them and not
GC> >    "rNNNN" or "revNNNN" which would have allowed us to replace them with
GC> >    the references to git commits automatically during import. And then
GC> >    there are, of course, all the references to svn commits on the mailing
GC> >    list too which would become dangling if we removed the metadata.
GC>
GC> Good question, but I tend to think that we needn't care about this.

 Does the unwillingness to not care about them stretches to the willingness
to actively get rid of them? Personally, I find the metadata lines ugly,
but I don't know of any really harmful consequences of keeping them, so I'd
let them live along.

GC> The historical svn references would remain valid because AIUI the svn
GC> repository would continue to exist

 It would, at best, be inconvenient to track them down in the svn
repository compared to just "git log --grep=rNNNN" in the current one.

GC> > 2. Assuming we do want to have this metadata, are we going to reuse the
GC> >    existing GitHub repository or redo the import from svn? For me reusing
GC> >    the existing one would obviously make things simpler and I, perhaps
GC> >    self-servingly, don't see any advantages in redoing the import.
GC>
GC> Oh...I forgot you've already done the work. Suppose, hypothetically,
GC> that I were to redo it; would our sha1sums match?

 No because they use the timestamp as one of the inputs and there is no way
you could reproduce the exact times of commit creation (which are different
from the author timestamps, which come from svn).

GC> And I suppose you've already taken care of all the little details like
GC> creating an 'authors' file, which I might forget the first few times I
GC> try.

 Yes, I even kept the one I used, and which could be useful to you if you
decide to redo the import (you would, of course, need to s/ _at_ /@/):

---------------------------------- >8 --------------------------------------
(no author) = Greg Chicares <gchicares _at_ massmutual.com>
chicares = Greg Chicares <gchicares _at_ massmutual.com>
etarassov = Evgeniy Tarassov <etarassov _at_ tt-solutions.com>
rericksberg = Richard Ericksberg <rericksberg _at_ massmutual.com>
vslavik = Vaclav Slavik <vaclav _at_ tt-solutions.com>
wboutin = Wendy Boutin <wboutin _at_ massmutual.com>
zeitlin = Vadim Zeitlin <vadim _at_ tt-solutions.com>
---------------------------------- >8 --------------------------------------

 FWIW all of those are really used:

% git shortlog -sn master
  4857  Greg Chicares
   233  Wendy Boutin
   197  Evgeniy Tarassov
   120  Vadim Zeitlin
    15  Richard Ericksberg
    12  Vaclav Slavik

 However I didn't create all svn tags and branches in this repository
because it wasn't necessary so far. I could do it, of course, but you wrote
that you wanted to prune them anyhow, so I'm not really sure about this any
more. Branches are probably indeed not worth preserving as the latest
commit in any of them dates from 2007, but perhaps the tags could be
useful for historical purposes?

GC> I propose that I clone your repository and look it over carefully.

 You probably know this already, but you can do it using "git clone
https://github.com/vadz/lmi.git";.

 Please let me know if you have any questions about it or would like me to
add any branches/tags to it.

 Thanks,
VZ