lmi

Re: [lmi] Migration to git

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Migration to git
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 18:43:57 +0000

On 2016-05-20 17:52, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Fri, 20 May 2016 17:09:22 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> GC> > 1. Do we want to have git-svn-id metadata in the new repository?
[...]
> GC> Good question, but I tend to think that we needn't care about this.
>
>  Does the unwillingness to not care about them stretches to the willingness
> to actively get rid of them? Personally, I find the metadata lines ugly,
> but I don't know of any really harmful consequences of keeping them, so I'd
> let them live along.

I'd forgotten exactly what that means, so I searched the web and found
an example where a perfectly good git commit message has this added at
its end:

git-svn-id: https://svn.example.com/repository/project/address@hidden
d2a7a951-c712-0410-832a-9abccabd3052

I'd rather expunge all that stuff. We're never going to go back to svn.

> GC> Oh...I forgot you've already done the work. Suppose, hypothetically,
> GC> that I were to redo it; would our sha1sums match?
>
>  No because they use the timestamp as one of the inputs and there is no way
> you could reproduce the exact times of commit creation (which are different
> from the author timestamps, which come from svn).

Then I won't waste my time poorly reproducing what you've already done.

[...'authors' file...]
> ---------------------------------- >8 --------------------------------------
> (no author) = Greg Chicares <gchicares _at_ massmutual.com>
> chicares = Greg Chicares <gchicares _at_ massmutual.com>
> etarassov = Evgeniy Tarassov <etarassov _at_ tt-solutions.com>
> rericksberg = Richard Ericksberg <rericksberg _at_ massmutual.com>
> vslavik = Vaclav Slavik <vaclav _at_ tt-solutions.com>
> wboutin = Wendy Boutin <wboutin _at_ massmutual.com>
> zeitlin = Vadim Zeitlin <vadim _at_ tt-solutions.com>

Could you please change my identity to the one I currently use in
'ChangeLog', i.e., <address@hidden>? I've never used any
corporate email address in 'ChangeLog' because no insurance company
is responsible for any errors it may contain--they want me to make
it clear that the public repository is my property and not theirs.

>  However I didn't create all svn tags and branches in this repository
> because it wasn't necessary so far. I could do it, of course, but you wrote
> that you wanted to prune them anyhow, so I'm not really sure about this any
> more. Branches are probably indeed not worth preserving as the latest
> commit in any of them dates from 2007, but perhaps the tags could be
> useful for historical purposes?

No, those old tags are of no use whatsoever. Neither are the branches
in the current svn repository. Does your migrated git repository
contain lots of personal branches you've added, or is it just a copy
of svn trunk? (Well, I guess I should clone it and see.)

> GC> I propose that I clone your repository and look it over carefully.
>
>  You probably know this already, but you can do it using "git clone
> https://github.com/vadz/lmi.git";.
>
>  Please let me know if you have any questions about it or would like me to
> add any branches/tags to it.

I can already answer: no branches or tags need be added.