lmi

Re: [lmi] Migration to git

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Migration to git
Date: Sun, 22 May 2016 22:45:26 +0200

On Sun, 22 May 2016 18:10:58 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> And there it is:
GC>   http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/lmi.git

 Great, thanks! I could clone it without any problems and everything looks
good so far. If no problems arise in the near future, I'm going to
transplant my existing branches to this repository and then will probably
recreate the GitHub repository, replacing the existing contents (and PRs)
with the new one (and recreating the PRs manually, which is why I'm not
sure if I should recreating the existing repository or just create a new
mirror on GitHub for new PRs but leave the existing ones as they're).

GC> There's also this:
GC>   http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lmi.git;a=summary

 I have no idea why does Savannah provide both cgit and gitweb when they
are so similar, but I guess more choice is always good...

GC> To use the repository (as opposed to just browsing in online):
GC>   http://savannah.nongnu.org/git/?group=lmi
GC> I guess Kim, who doesn't commit anything, should do this:
GC>   git clone git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/lmi.git
GC> while you and I would use this instead:
GC>   git clone <membername>@git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/lmi.git

 FWIW I tried cloning both and using git:// was noticeably (~20%) than
using ssh:// protocol.

GC> So far, I see no commit mail for the initial push in the html
GC> archives, but they are updated only every thirty minutes.

 It looks like there have been no notification emails as more than 30
minutes have passed and there is still nothing in the archive (at
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lmi-commits/). It might mean that the
hook is configured to not send emails for a number of commits greater than
some threshold or it might mean that it's not configured at all...

GC> I'll edit .git/description and try to push it. If that doesn't
GC> come through, then I'll ask them to add a hook.

 Yes, you'll need to ask Savannah admins to set this up as you must have
access to the repository on the server, as you've already discovered.

VZ