lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Bridge Implementation

From: Joel Cunningham
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Bridge Implementation
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2017 15:33:52 -0600

> On Feb 9, 2017, at 1:54 PM, address@hidden wrote:
>
> Joel Cunningham wrote:
>> I’ve got an upcoming project that may need to implement a layer 2 bridge
>> (multiple interfaces with a single IP address).
>
> That's funny. I just had a look at linux for that and decided it is way too
> slow…

What performance issue did you uncover?

>> Has anyone ever seen patches for LwIP adding this kind of support or
>> discussions about the topic?
>
> Unfortunately, I haven't seen open source code for that. I once have
> implemented something similar (and it shouldn't be too hard to do this once
> the functionality of such a bridge is understood), but this is a) closed
> source and b) not fully portable.

Definitely agree on the “understanding/defining the behaviors of a bridge”.
Most stacks seem to have a bridge concept that is at least defined in man
pages/online documentation, not sure I’ve seen the concept defined in an IEEE
document.  We would have to define a set of features for a bridge in LwIP

Here’s an example for FreeBSD:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/network-bridging.html

> I'd be interested in such a solution as well :-) And I might even take some
> time to contribute…

Good to know there is other interest in this feature

Joel