lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [patch #9555] Add MDNS probing

From: Jens Nielsen
Subject: [lwip-devel] [patch #9555] Add MDNS probing
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 03:04:33 -0500 (EST)

Follow-up Comment #3, patch #9555 (project lwip):

Ah right, I think the NULL dereference is copypasted from mdns_announce, I'll
fix both

Regarding the authoritative answers you're probably right, the RFC says this
in section 8.2:

"each host populates the query message's Authority Section with the record or
records with the rdata that it would be proposing to use, should its probing
be successful."

and

"for tiebreaking to work correctly in all cases, the Authority Section must
contain *all* the records and proposed rdata being probed for uniqueness."

I just went with *all*, but the authority section should just contain a
proposed answer to the query. If someone else probes for the same name as us
we'll check the other node's authority section for answers for that name and
compare rdata to see which one should defer to the other. Unless I greatly
misunderstood something there's no point in including any of the PTR records,
not the two you mentioned or the in-addr.arpa one either, since we're not
querying for that.

I also rebooted that other computer I have on my network to see what it sent
and it only had an A, AAAA and SRV record in the probes, while its announce
message looks like ours.

Adding a new version of patch 3 to fix since this reverts a large part of the
original version.

Also adding patch 5 to fix the NULL dereference fix and documentation updates.
I haven't documented the name resolution api properly yet since I guess it's
not settled yet. I was thinking I could add mdns_resp_rename_netif() and
_rename_service() so the user doesn't have to call mdns_resp_remove_netif()
and add everything again?

(file #43103, file #43104, file #43105)

Additional Item Attachment:

File name: 0003-Populate-MDNS-probes-authoritative-section_v2.patch Size:3 KB
File name: mdns probe v2.pcap             Size:1 KB
File name: 0005-MDNS-minor-fixes-and-documentation.patch Size:5 KB

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?9555>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/