lwip-users

[lwip-users] Promiscous Mode (Ref: Windows 7 Startup crashes LwIP and Fr

From: Marco Jakobs
Subject: [lwip-users] Promiscous Mode (Ref: Windows 7 Startup crashes LwIP and Free RTOS)
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 13:23:13 +0200

Hi all,

while checking some stuff for my project at work, i discovered this EMAC configuration:

    /* Enable the copy of data into the buffers, ignore broadcasts,
       and don't copy FCS. */
AT91C_BASE_EMAC->EMAC_NCFGR |= ( AT91C_EMAC_CAF | AT91C_EMAC_NBC | AT91C_EMAC_DRFCS );

This sets the EMAC into promiscous mode - which means that *all* received frames will be copied. Is there any reason for giving LwIP all the anycasts, multicasts etc. which are spread by different PCs, printers etc...?

This may also affect my issue in the Windows 7 Startup crash thread ... i'll try it tonight at home.

My first tests show that it works also in the non-promiscuous mode, with which of course the broadcasts have to be enabled (for getting the ARP queries). Now i can also connect my device to a hub with a downloading PC connected without getting watchdog resets due to never running low-priority tasks (in promicuous mode the high priority EMAC task will take nearly all CPU power to process the incoming frames).

So, changing the init to

    AT91C_BASE_EMAC->EMAC_NCFGR |= ( AT91C_EMAC_DRFCS );

looks good for me!

Is there any reason for having the promiscuous mode enabled in LwIP?

Thanks,
Marco