m17n-list

Re: [m17n-list] Trying to create a more optimal Indic input method.

From: Dominik Wujastyk
Subject: Re: [m17n-list] Trying to create a more optimal Indic input method.
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 16:19:06 +0200

Hi, Vishvas,

Actually, I use Devanagari a lot of the time, and all the time for the Sanskrit texts that I critically edit.   I was one of the people involved in the development of "Velthuis" Devanagari, the first Devanagari font ever available for TeX;  I used it for my PhD.   I do also use IAST, for articles aimed at journals published in Europe and America, and for Wikipedia etc. Independently of output script, I sometimes type my input in IAST, sometimes Devanagari, and sometimes Velthuis.

I did not write the IAST system for m17n keyboarding.  Praise due to someone else.

Does nationality really come into this issue?  Geography, perhaps?  I mean, there are also millions of *Indian* users who have no use for Kannada or Devanagari script.  Many Bengalis or Tamils are Indian but don't read Kannada or Gujarati, etc.   Maybe you just meant, "in India."

Something that might help your interesting keyboard-input project forward would be to give it a nice name.  And the output can be any, or a series of Indic scripts, I suppose.

Best,
Dominik