m17n-list

Re: [m17n-list] Trying to create a more optimal Indic input method.

From: Dominik Wujastyk
Subject: Re: [m17n-list] Trying to create a more optimal Indic input method.
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 09:31:08 +0200

Dear Ken,

There are existing ISO and Unicode standards for all these issues about transliteration that you raise.  If you want to offer a new transliteration standard, then you must plan for many years of gruelling committee work to get your proposals through the process.  I sat for a couple of years on a British Standards Institute Committee for transliteration of Indic Scripts (with Tony Stone, among others).  It is a long, bureaucratic, frustrating and frankly boring process. Gird your loins for the long haul.  Tony's transliteration pages give a good feel for the issues that have been discussed in the past, and the processes underlying decision-making.

My personal judgement is that the existing standards for the transliteration of Indic scripts are adequate.  I regret the ISO choice on the romanization of Sanskrit's anusvara and vocalic r, but I think that's impossible to change now.

Some of the suggestions you make might fall better under the heading of IPA (also a standard), don't you think?  For example, you don't need to invent a new glyph for schwa, ə.

The m17n list is not for the discussion of transliteration, but just about convenient keyboarding.  What buttons to press in order to get particular glyphs on the screen.  With m17n and IBUS, say, this is a soft process, which is easily configured or tweaked by individual users.

While there also exist ISO standards for keyboard layouts, this m17n list does not aim to discuss the creation of new ISO keyboarding standards.

Best wishes,
Dominik Wujastyk