m17n-list

Re: [m17n-list] About lsymbol.mim

From: handa
Subject: Re: [m17n-list] About lsymbol.mim
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2016 00:27:56 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, विश्वासो वासुकिजः (Vishvas Vasuki)
<address@hidden> writes:

> ​Sounds good! 👏​ I had reconfigured the above myself a while back. So, it
> appears that you've not seen the latest version -  lsymbol.mim
> <https://github.com/sanskrit-coders/m17n-db/blob/master/MIM/lsymbol.mim>.
> Please take a look. Particularly, I find that the following are missing.

Ah, ok, I've just committed a version that reflects most of your new version.

>  (asterix-like
>   ("*" (delete @0) ("🌹💐❁✽" "⭐🌟💫✨🌠✯" "☀❂✷✸✹☄")))

For this, I prepended "★☆" because I think those characters are used
more often.

>  (spiritual
>   ("&" (delete @0) ("☸☯♋☬卍卐" "✝☦✙✡☪" "💀☠👹👼😇" "💒⛪")))

I'm not sure for this.  Is "&" a good key?  And, first of all, are those
symbols really used that frequently?

>  (legal
>   ("@" (delete @0) ("©®™§")))

I removed § (SECTION SIGN) because it's not a legal sign.
Perhaps we should find a key for "§¶†‡".

> ​Also, for the check-marks, I recommend the shortcut /x (more intuitive
> symbolwise, does not depend on the knowledge of the English term "check/
> correct mark").​

I tend to avoid using a single alphabet key here.  Isn't it better to
reserve such a convenient key for more frequently used symbols?  If "cx"
is not that intuitive, how about "xx"?

> Also, is there a way of adding comments within a line, something analogous
> to the following in C:
> printf("Hello world %f", 42 /*Secret number*/); ​

Unfortunately, no.  For the above, you must write something like this.

  printf ("Hello world %f", 42 // Secret number
         );

---
K. Handa
address@hidden