m17n-list

Re: [m17n-list] About lsymbol.mim

From: Vishvas Vasuki
Subject: Re: [m17n-list] About lsymbol.mim
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 08:43:32 -0800

Make the first group contain most widely used symbols from each
subcategory (i.e. flower, star, asterisc, ...) something like
"🌹💐☆★✽"(?), make the 2nd group contains more flowers, 3rd group
contains more stars, 4th more asteriscs and etc.

My experience is that the first character of the second group is far more easier to type (one down arrow and you're done) that the fourth character of the first group (you need to _look_ for the number 4 on the keyboard) - besides, there's the cognitive ease of "flowers only" vs "flowers and stars".​ That's why I preferred the second group to be all stars and the first to be all flowers.

> > >  (spiritual
> > >   ("&" (delete @0) ("☸☯♋☬卍卐" "✝☦✙✡☪" "💀☠👹👼😇" "💒⛪")))
Such a comment doesn't help normal users.  I think we should be more
cautious of breaking backward compatibility.
​How about /++ then?​

> > >  (legal
> > >   ("@" (delete @0) ("©®™§")))
> >
> > I removed § (SECTION SIGN) because it's not a legal sign.
> > Perhaps we should find a key for "§".
> >
> The text signs could be grouped together (@ is more indicative of that).
> perhaps we could just rename legal to text_signs?

I think @ is suitable both for legal signs (as it shape) and for text
signs (at it function), and the total number 7 is not that much.  So,
how about showing all of them as this at the moment:

If we find more symbols suitable to this category, we can move one or
two of text signs to the next group which contains more symbols.
​Sounds good! 👍

Vishvas /विश्वासः