m17n-list

Re: [m17n-list] About lsymbol.mim

From: Vishvas Vasuki
Subject: Re: [m17n-list] About lsymbol.mim
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 09:45:38 -0800

>  (asterix-like
>   ("*" (delete @0) ("🌹💐❁✽" "⭐🌟💫✨🌠✯" "☀❂✷✸✹☄")))

For this, I prepended "★☆" because I think those characters are used
more often.
​You're mistaken - flowers are far more popular. (People like to send each other flowers, more than stars ☺) Check http://www.emojitracker.com/ .​ The stars should be grouped together too, for user convenience.

>  (spiritual
>   ("
​​
&" (delete @0) ("☸☯♋☬卍
​​
​​
卐" "
​​
✝☦✙✡☪" "
​​
💀☠
​​
👹👼😇" "💒⛪")))

I'm not sure for this.  Is "&" a good key?  And, first of all, are those
symbols really used that frequently?

💀☠
​​
👹 are quite popular, as http://www.emojitracker.com/ .​ While at it, users should be able to type other spiritual characters as well. For instance, I really want to use
卐 (a common ancient Indic symbol used in real life letters, homes and statues to indicate prosperity) - yes - it's quite widely used by people for a variety of other reasons https://twitter.com/hashtag/%E5%8D%90 . It's more the inability to type that prevents wider use.

​If you're not sure about the shortcut, that's fine - change it once we get a better idea. you could just add a comment if you like, saying that ​the shortcut is subject to change.

>  (legal
>   ("@" (delete @0) ("©®™§")))

I removed § (SECTION SIGN) because it's not a legal sign.
Perhaps we should find a key for "§¶†‡".
The text signs could be grouped together (@ is more indicative of that). perhaps we could just rename legal to text_signs?

> ​Also, for the check-marks, I recommend the shortcut /x (more intuitive
> symbolwise, does not depend on the knowledge of the English term "check/
> correct mark").​

I tend to avoid using a single alphabet key here.  Isn't it better to
reserve such a convenient key for more frequently used symbols?  If "cx"
is not that intuitive, how about "xx"?
​Sounds good!​

Vishvas /विश्वासः