Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] SDL build missing DX Headers

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] SDL build missing DX Headers
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 19:17:13 +0100

Gregory Smith <address@hidden> schrieb:
> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010, Volker Grabsch wrote:
> >
> >An interesting alternative might be the "dx80_mgw.zip" available at
> >http://alleg.sourceforge.net/wip.html
[...]
> >Or we download the DirectX SDK directly from its source:
> >http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx
> >
> >and convert it as explained in:
> >http://nexe.gamedev.net/directKnowledge/default.asp?p=DirectX%20Development%20Using%20DevCpp
>
> This would introduce a dependency on reimp, and is a lot of scripting work
> to go through when someone else has already done it :)

That's true. On the other hand, it's a bit sad that the Allegro
people don't provide the scripts they used to create these
packages.

> >Please try to find a simple, working solution. I'd be happy to create
> >a "src/directx.mk" that provides DirectX support in mingw-cross-env.
>
> Well, if the goal is only to get SDL to compile with directx support, the
> simple solution is to install the missing header files the SDL project
> itself provides. If you want to provide support for DirectX 8 development,
> we can use the allegro zip file, but since I am not doing DirectX 8
> development, I can't test any farther than making sure SDL compiles with
> directx support.

It would be great if you could check that. If we include DirectX
support, we should do it properly.

Any further tests for other libraries will be done when enabling
DirectX support for these libraries. So don't worry about these.
Having a recent DirectX 8 support for SDL would already be a big
step forward.

Greets,

    Volker

--