Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] MXE suddenly wants to rebuild everything

From: Nikos Chantziaras
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] MXE suddenly wants to rebuild everything
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2013 19:46:59 +0300

On 01/06/13 19:28, Tony Theodore wrote:

On 02/06/2013, at 1:39 AM, Nikos Chantziaras
<address@hidden> wrote:

Hmm, I've actually started the rebuild.  It actually finished much
sooner than expected.  It didn't actually rebuild everything.  It
rebuilt gcc and qt.  I assumed it was going to rebuild everything,
since it started with gcc.  But it seems I was wrong.  I've still
no idea why it did that.  Most probably I touched some file by
mistake.

It should have at least rebuilt "zlib libpng jpeg libmng" (the qt
deps) if gcc was built. Have you modified the deps on those packages
also? That behaviour is almost more surprising than the original
rebuild! If you somehow touched src/gcc.mk, then all it's dependents
should rebuild.

Yes, all the *.mk files I use are actually modified. I'm removing deps, change --enable-* stuff to --disable-*, and add custom CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS all over the place to enable dead code stripping (with a patched binutils.) It was the only way to get a sane executable size (from something like 40MB IIRC down to 10MB.)

Though I didn't touch src/gcc.mk. Perhaps this has something to do with me installing a new package that I've built externally with the MXE toolchain (that is, without a src/*.mk file) and then doing a "make install" and having it end up inside opt/mxe/usr/i686-pc-mingw32/.

My MXE tree is about a year old though (I have tons of settings
in the *.mk files that really I don't want to lose) [...]

What sort of settings are they? Is there a way we could make it
easier to keep updated with mxe and keep your local settings?

Not sure how easy it would be to automate this.  Here's a good
example (qt.mk) of the kind of changes I'm doing:

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=dkn6jZUC

[...]
For the configure options, we could add a similar variable that is
appended to our standard set. Later options should override earlier
ones, so all the "-no-*" options can be consolidated.

Being able to set CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS/LDFLAGS globally would also be useful.

P.S. Note that some of the standard "-no-*" options are glib and
gstreamer - that may cause problems with QtGstreamer.

Hm, I didn't even know Qt can be built with glib's event loop on Windows. From the docs it sounds this is only for X11.