Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] gtk3 and gtkmm3

From: Gerardo Ballabio
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] gtk3 and gtkmm3
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 23:25:51 +0200

I downloaded your 3-gigabytes tarball, only to find that I can't use it because it's built for 64-bits architecture, mine is 32-bits.

Instead, I found that the missing symbol listed in the original report is defined in libfreetype.a:

$ ./usr/bin/i686-w64-mingw32.static-nm usr/i686-w64-mingw32.static/lib/libfreetype.a | grep FT_Get_BDF_Property
00000090 T _FT_Get_BDF_Property

If that symbol isn't present in your build of libfreetype.a, then the problem is with freetype-bootstrap. Please check.

I extracted the freetype source tree and found that FT_Get_BDF_Property is indeed declared in include/ftbdf.h and defined in file src/base/ftbdf.c. There don't seem to be any conditional compiler directives in those files, so I can't see why that function would not be compiled.

I compared your build sequence with that produced by "make pango", in order to see if I could spot any missing dependencies. But in fact, "make pango" builds *less* packages before freetype-bootstrap (after gcc it builds only three: bzip2, zlib and libpng). Could it be that freetype-boostrap needs to be built *before* some of the other packages (that would make it a dependency of the other package, instead of the other way around)? I can't quite understand why it would be so, but here's the list, in case you want to try:

xz pixman pcre lzo libsigc++ libiconv libffi jpeg icu4c expat libjpeg-turbo libxml2 gettext tiff jasper dbus

I won't have time to do further work on this until the next weekend. I hope you'll get it sorted by then.

Gerardo