Re: [Mldonkey-users] Why does mldonkey open so much files (1024)?

From: Martin Schmidt
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Why does mldonkey open so much files (1024)?
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 22:01:09 +0200

On Tuesday 10 September 2002 19:33, Alexander Gretencord wrote:

Hi,

> On Tuesday 10 September 2002 18:50, Void None wrote:
> > Sometimes after a few hours mldonkey has 1024 files (including
> > connections I think) open (lsof output) - and a netstat -n| wc -l says
> > something like 124 connections.
>
> Which should not be of any problem. Current default for open files that
> linux will allocate is at 8192. But you can check where yours is set with
> the following command:
>
> cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr

> The first number is the number of file handles allocated, the second is the
> number of actually used filehandle and the third number is the maximum
> linux will ever allocate at once. So it's absolutely no problem to have
> 1024 open files :)

That is clear that this is the number of the maximum limit for all processes.
But I think the 1024 limit, it is a limit for one process.

> Your 1024 is what "ulimit -n" talks about. (and whats set in limits.h as
> you already know it seems :)). AFAIK that's the limit for one user so just
> giving mldonkey its own user (which is wise anyway) should solve your
> problem. If mldonkey hits the limit it only affects mldonkey and not you.

My mldonkey has its own user. And as I watched (lsof), this user can have more
than 1024 connections/files open. But mldonkey not, because mldonkey print
error messages at this situation, like, too many open files, or something
like that.

So I think 1024 it is not an user limit.

An it is true that only the mldonkey process is affected, but this sucks
enough. Because I can't connect with telnet anymore, I can't add new download
links and so on.

At the moment I have only "353" open connections from this process, so perhaps
mldonkey opens so much connections by accident. So this is the reason, why I
am writing. If it is a Bug or just normal. If it is normal you can increase
this limit of course.

Regards
Martin Schmidt