Re: [Mldonkey-users] Why does mldonkey open so much files (1024)?

From: Goswin Brederlow
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Why does mldonkey open so much files (1024)?
Date: 11 Sep 2002 10:11:27 +0200

Martin Schmidt <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tuesday 10 September 2002 22:21, MLdonkey wrote:
> The last time this bug happened I checked with lsof and the number of shared
> and config files was ok (not so much, shared about 5, 40 downloading - like
> it was). But the real big rest was sockets. And Netstat showed only about
> 130.
>
> When it happens next time, I check it again.

How many connect do you allow? I have somewhere at 900 I think.

mldonkey sets a timeout of 1/2 day (why so high?). When my dsl redials
that means I still have all previous connects dangling for half a day
before they give a timeout. I think that could keep quite a feq
filedescriptors open far too long.

> > >  http and I can't add links of course, too.
> > >
> > >  Now my question is, if it really neccessary, that mldonkey opens so much
> > >  files/connections, and why - or it is just a bug?
> > >
> > >  And if it no bug, should I increase the limit in
> > >  /usr/src/linux/include/linux/limits.h ? What are the disadcantages?

Maybe mldonkey should kill a random/old/stale connect when it fails to
make a gui connect.

Further a close everything command should be helpfull. One could run
that and then look whats still open, those would be the leaks. I heard
something about doing that with a signal (to be used when the connection
redials) should work but doesn't. Any comments there?

MfG
        Goswin