Re: [Mldonkey-users] Why does mldonkey open so much files (1024)?

From: Martin Schmidt
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Why does mldonkey open so much files (1024)?
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 12:49:34 +0200

On Wednesday 11 September 2002 10:11, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> Martin Schmidt <address@hidden> writes:

Hi,

> > On Tuesday 10 September 2002 22:21, MLdonkey wrote:
> > The last time this bug happened I checked with lsof and the number of
> > shared and config files was ok (not so much, shared about 5, 40
> > downloading - like it was). But the real big rest was sockets. And
> > Netstat showed only about 130.
> >
> > When it happens next time, I check it again.
>
> How many connect do you allow? I have somewhere at 900 I think.

I have 924 (the default).

> mldonkey sets a timeout of 1/2 day (why so high?). When my dsl redials
> that means I still have all previous connects dangling for half a day
> before they give a timeout. I think that could keep quite a feq
> filedescriptors open far too long.

I have a 24 h auto-disconnect, but in  my case this was not the problem this
all happened in the 24 h connected time (I looked at the pppd logs).

> Maybe mldonkey should kill a random/old/stale connect when it fails to
> make a gui connect.

Hm, maybe, but I don't use the gui.

> Further a close everything command should be helpfull. One could run
> that and then look whats still open, those would be the leaks. I heard
> something about doing that with a signal (to be used when the connection
> redials) should work but doesn't. Any comments there?

This is a good idea I think (for pppd reconnects) - but then you again don't
know, where it is the leak. Perhaps a verbose debug feature would be not bad.
Perhaps I will learn some ocaml and look into the code (but at the moment I
have no much time).

To say it again, nestat shows only about 130 and in proc (lsof) there are much
more (the big rest).

Regards
Martin Schmidt