Re: [Mldonkey-users] Why does mldonkey open so much files (1024)?

From: Martin Schmidt
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Why does mldonkey open so much files (1024)?
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 23:54:22 +0200

On Tuesday 10 September 2002 22:21, MLdonkey wrote:
> >  Sometimes after a few hours mldonkey has 1024 files (including
> >  connections I think) open (lsof output) - and a netstat -n| wc -l
> >  says something like 124 connections.
>
> Well, it is an old problem, and I still don't know where the file
> descriptors are leaking... Could you give me more information:
>
> "ps auxww | grep mldonkey" to know the process PID. Then, go in
> /proc/mldonkey_PID/fd. Do a "ls -l" and try to understand where file
> descriptors are allocated: on the 1024, how many are shared files ?
> How many are sockets (compared to the result of netstat) ? How many
> are for config files (.ini) ?

The last time this bug happened I checked with lsof and the number of shared
and config files was ok (not so much, shared about 5, 40 downloading - like
it was). But the real big rest was sockets. And Netstat showed only about
130.

When it happens next time, I check it again.

> Moreover, when it happens, are you mainly downloading or uploading ?

I think downloading (40).

> Are you on several networks ?

No, only edonkey - mldonkey is compiled only with edonkey support.

> >  The problem with this is, that I can't connect then with telnet or
> >  http and I can't add links of course, too.
> >
> >  Now my question is, if it really neccessary, that mldonkey opens so much
> >  files/connections, and why - or it is just a bug?
> >
> >  And if it no bug, should I increase the limit in
> >  /usr/src/linux/include/linux/limits.h ? What are the disadcantages?
>
> Increasing the limit can prevent the bug from appearing too often, but
> it will not remove the bug :) Normally, mldonkey tries to take the
> number of opened files into account, so that this problem is really a BUG.

Good to know.

Regards
Martin Schmidt