Re: [Mldonkey-users] Why does mldonkey open so much files (1024)?

From: Rainer Krauss
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Why does mldonkey open so much files (1024)?
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 13:09:19 +0200

Hi,

am Dienstag, 10. September 2002 um 22:21 schrieben Sie:

>>  Sometimes after a few hours mldonkey has 1024 files (including
>>  connections I think) open (lsof output) - and a netstat -n| wc -l
>>  says something like 124 connections.

Same problem over here - i have a P233, 64MB RAM and i guessed it is
because of the little RAM?

When mldonkey starts to HD-access like hell nor down or upload will
work anymore and finaly i cant telnet in either.

I havent investigated this so far but it seems to have much to do with
WHAT i am downloading. So not the count of downloads but certain files
will make my system continously using the HD after about half an hour
of download.

I saw this happen when downloading a german movie. CD1 was perfect but
allways when i started to download CD2 mldonkey gets starving
slowly. I endet up with downloading the two CDs as single downloads
one after the other - and even then, CD2 was quite a pain as even when
beeing the only download mldonkey runs into heavy HD traffic very
often. Took me about a day to download CD1 and about 4 days to
download CD2 - both where very popular with about 4000-8000 downloads
available.

Remarkably it doesnt make any noticerable difference if i stoped
uploading with nu 300.

On the other hand right after i watched this movie i started
downloading another one - two CDs again and both got in in just a
couple of hours without any problems at nearly full up/download -
so after all my little RAM and slow CPU shouldnt be the only
part of the problem?

Btw. i use CBQ to shape traffic (thanks to the help i got from this
mailinglist:), ACK packets and "normal uploads" going in to two classes
with 60 KBit each, allowed to borrow from each other, forwarding traffic
from internal windows machine gets another 60 KBit on its own.
Works perfectly smooth for me but maybe this is part of the problem
for mldonkey?

It doesn't depend on the download speed as this occures when
downloading at 0.1 kb/s like it does while running at very good rates.

I tried to telnet in when HD traffic gets more and pause all - but it
didnt help either. I can do "pause all" and "nu 300" and still having
heavy HD traffic. The only solution is to "kill" and start over
again.

I use latest CVS, compiled (now) as static (i remember i hadn't such
problems with the precompiled static version i was using the first
days - however, just a try). I use it with default settings (only some
minor settings like name and verbose are changed).

M> Well, it is an old problem, and I still don't know where the file
M> descriptors are leaking... Could you give me more information:

M> "ps auxww | grep mldonkey" to know the process PID. Then, go in
M> /proc/mldonkey_PID/fd. Do a "ls -l" and try to understand where file
M> descriptors are allocated: on the 1024, how many are shared files ?
M> How many are sockets (compared to the result of netstat) ? How many
M> are for config files (.ini) ?

I'll remember to do this when i get this problems again.

M> Moreover, when it happens, are you mainly downloading or uploading ?
M> Are you on several networks ?

Compiled with mldonkey support only.

Anyway - Thanks for the great work on mldonkey :)