Re: [Mldonkey-users] similar chunks detection

From: Volker
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] similar chunks detection
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 17:46:34 +0100

> > >From Changelog 2.02-24:
> >
> > o Added detection of similar chunks between files, not used yet
> >
> > IMHO that's a great idea - i'm looking forward to it.
>
> I would like to know what it is ;)

I hope that it will exchange chunks between files, which are actually the same
but have different md5s ;)

okay - different md5s, same file? sounds like crap to me, but:
at the moment, i'm downloading two files with the same name, same size but
different md5s.
i assume that in one of those just one bit changed.
so if mldonkey would compare those chunks, he could copy complete chunks from
file a to file b (without downloading them again).
that way, i could get this file much faster, even if some chunks are missing
(but available for the other version).

that's what i hope it is meant for.
everything is guessed - no guarantee ;)

volker

--
Wer nur einen Hammer als Werkzeug hat,
sieht in jedem Problem einen Nagel (Abraham Maslow).