Re: [Mldonkey-users] Feature requst - download cache

From: Lionel Bouton
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Feature requst - download cache
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:04:43 +0100

Goswin Brederlow wrote:

Hi,

I realy get fed up by all the fragmentation and thus slowdown of the
fs mldonkey generates. Without defragmenting now and then it reaches a
critical point where the disk speed is below the download speed.

What FS do you use ?!?

Assuming you use Linux, this is surprising as ext2/ext3 are rather good at avoiding fragmentation (unless the partition gets filled, but nothing can prevent fragmentation in this case). If their algorithm fails, you could use 2 partitions like me : one partition dedicated for downloads and another for storage -> if fragmented, files automatically get defragmented when you move them from download area to storage area.

Anyway, did you run e2fsck to check the actual fragmentation ? I have big disk slowdowns that are P2P-related, but I believe them to be a performance bug in the block device management (small continuous amounts of writes seem to kill read performance). There is work in Linux kernel 2.5 eliminating this problem IIRC. I don't think this is mldonkey task to solve fs problems. For example, people using HFS+ under MaxOS X allocate the whole file size on file creation instead of waiting for data to come. MacOS X users should have an UFS partition (UFS does support holes in files, doesn't it ?) for mldonkey.

LB.