Re: [Mldonkey-users] Feature requst - download cache

From: Marc Thoben
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Feature requst - download cache
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 05:33:32 +0100

On 14th of March 2003 at 13:04:43, Lionel Bouton wrote:
> Goswin Brederlow wrote:
>
> >I realy get fed up by all the fragmentation and thus slowdown of the
> >fs mldonkey generates.
>
> What FS do you use ?!?

Hi all,

I did some simple filesystem speed checks a while ago as I still
used the original core, which caused even worse fragmentation. And
since this topic came up again, let me tell you of my results.

I checked only journaling filesystems: ext3fs, xfs and reiserfs
(I hadn't have heard of jfs at that time)

I spend a 10gb disk and put both directories (temp and incoming) on
the only existing partition.

I downloaded around 15gb in large files for each test, moving files
to a empty disk, when the partition was full.

After 15gb down, I copied the latest large files with those speeds:

reiserfs: 1.5mb/s
ext3fs:   2.0mb/s
xfs:      4.5mb/s

I.e. copying a 700mb from the full ext3fs partition, I had most of
the time 2.0mb/s, rarely getting higher.

Just for info a non-fragmented file I could copy with 9mb/s from all
filesystems.

Summary ? I went with xfs, running nice then :-)

Regards,
Marc