Re: [Mldonkey-users] Feature requst - download cache

From: Brett Dikeman
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Feature requst - download cache
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 21:37:58 -0500

At 12:48 PM +0100 3/14/03, address@hidden wrote:
 > I realy get fed up by all the fragmentation and thus slowdown of the
 fs mldonkey generates.

This isn't mldonkey.  It's a lack of disk space on your part.

 Without defragmenting now and then it reaches a
 > critical point where the disk speed is below the download speed.

This is simply not possible- you must be getting swapping, which is entirely different. Check your swap rate using vmstat during this disk activity, I can practically guarantee it's swap.

If you have an IDE drive, have youenabled DMA, unmasked IRQs, 32bit IO, and the fastest IDE mode your drive/controller supports? These can cause -significant- improvements in disk IO on some systems. A Dell system I used to use at work improved almost 30x in disk benchmarks for sequential reads.

You can also enable write caching, if your system is rock solid stable; I strongly recommend you at least switch to ext3, however, to reduce chances of filesystem corruption if the system does crash/get powered down accidentally(note, it is possible to jump between ext2 and 3, you do not need to reformat- google for something like "ext2 ext3 tunefs".)

Also, I'm not sure of what you mean by "without degramenting now and then"- the ext2 defrag utility is pretty much dead. Is there some new utility out?

or use a filesystem without such drawbacks.

Uh, no. Regardless of what operating system you use, if you've got next to no disk space available, you're going to get fragmentation, and there's nothing you can do about it. Yes, FAT and NTFS are much worse than others, but the unix and MacOS filesystems are much better, and ext2 doesn't suffer the same problems as FAT/NTFS, so comparing them is absurd.

Fact of life; statistically, the less free space, the less of a chance the OS will be able to find contiguous disk space. Some filesystems are more clever than others, but the differences are not astounding, certainly not the "30x" claimed by one lister- that was due to the reformat(which, after you've copied all your data back, results in a completely unfragmented filesystem), -NOT- the filesystem type switch!

Brett
PS:most journaling filesystems are at least slightly slower than non-journaling systems. We're not talking a drastic or even noticeable difference, however, so don't loose sleep over it.
--
----
http://www.users.cloud9.net/~brett/