Re: Process Resource Update

From: Christian Hopp
Subject: Re: Process Resource Update
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 22:34:17 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Martin Pala wrote:

> Works well :) What about to add it to cvs?

I can do when I am back from Hamburg this weekend.  But how do we deal
with the *BSDs?  I can check in anyways... can I get a vote on this?

> It seems that monit reports the memory usage excluding cache related
> regions. The difference is quite significant (ca. 250MB)- i have 512MB RAM:
>
> - monit reports ca. 135000 kB memory usage
>
> - top, free and vmstat reports 382052 kB usage (of which ca. 135000 kB
> is related to programs and the rest is cache + buffers):

> (...)

I see Buffers+Cache as free space, because it's usually emptied upon
request.  Thus, it's always availble to applications.  But that's just a
matter of view.

> For memory sizing, it is important to know the real memory usage as
> monit reports now plus to know the buffer+cache portion too.
>
> Thus - could be possible to report total memory usage with caches +
> buffers too? It could be probably good to use the "free's" output i.e.
> to report:
> - total memory usage and
> - memory usage without buffers and cache

I fear it might break with other OSes which dont do this distinction.  But
for those which have it might be possible.  There is still plenty of space
in SystemInfo_T (:

> Following statistic was catched later then above example (thus the
> numbers are different). It is possible to see that free, top and vmstat
> reports:
>
> - MemTotal-MemFree ... as total memory usage
> - MemTotal-MemFree-Buffers-Cached ... as memory usage without buffers
> and cache

For Linux it always sounds so easy (:.... but even for Solaris you have to
go into very bad documented or even undocumented areas.

Have a nice weekend everyone...

Christian