monotone-debian

Re: [Monotone-debian] Re: Please have a look at the odm.for-mtn-1.0 bran

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: Re: [Monotone-debian] Re: Please have a look at the odm.for-mtn-1.0 branch
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 05:49:24 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Sat, 26 Feb 2011 00:24:16 +0000, Francis Russell
<address@hidden> said:

francis> Hi Richard,
francis>
francis> I had a go at building the package and noticed a couple of things:
francis>
francis> - configure reports a strange warning about the unrecognised option
francis> "--disable-maintainer-mode".

Not strange at all, really.  Debian::Debhelper::Buildsystem::autoconf
adds that to the options used with configure, unconditionally.  It's
there to disable maintainer-mode in case upstream has AM_MAINTAINER_MODE
in configure.ac.  Monotone doesn't, therefore the option isn't
recognised, so this warning can be safely ignored.

francis> - I can't seem to work out why source-highlight and
francis>   mime-construct are build dependencies of monotone (as
francis>   opposed to Recommends of monotone-extras).

Because the shell script extra/mtn-hooks/monotone-mail-notify uses
them and because that script is tested as part of the "extra" test
suite (test/extra/mail-notify/__driver__.lua, to be exact).

francis> - monotone-extras references highlight-source in the
francis>   Recommends and description fields. I can't find any Debian
francis>   package with that name so I guess those are both meant to
francis>   be source-highlight?

I keep spelling that wrong...  Corrected in a later revision (that I'm
pushing now).

francis> - When the build starts running the unit tests, I get the
francis>   following:
francis>
francis> ./run_lua_tests
francis> This test suite cannot be run as the root user.
francis> Please try again with a normal user account.

*augh*
I've disabled checks for a while, so I missed that one...  and that
message is the reason you have to have so convoluted ways to support
-A and -B (Reading to policy 4.9, it seems to encourage you to disable
the build target altogether and have building done through the
binary|binary-arch|binary-indep targets...  and dpkg-buildpackage does
that via fakeroot...  hence the error message.
Ooook, back to the older drawing.  And I though I was so clever...

francis> This is a 64-bit system running Debian testing, using revision
francis> 6f510448e4ae40bb567126c036b35326f567914a of the packaging and the
0.99.1
francis> monotone tarball. I ran the build using "dpkg-buildpackage -b".

Ah, I haven't used this at all with the 0.99.1 tarball...  the branch
is org.debian.monotone.for-mtn-1.0 for a reason ;-), and it's highly
following what's happening with upstream development toward version
1.0.  It will fail miserably with 0.99.1.

Cheers,
Richard

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/