[Monotone-devel] Re: smtp vs. calling sendmail (Re: static stuff)

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: smtp vs. calling sendmail (Re: static stuff)
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:24:30 -0500

Peter Simons wrote:

 > I understand this. I am of the opinion that it's a
 > mistake for email, but reasonable people may
 > disagree.

Same here. I can see the benefits of not depending on
another external tool, but in the case of e-mail, it
feels a bit extreme.

it was not extreme-ness which moved me to include SMTP: it was ease. I already had most of the machinery in the NNTP code (the protocols are very similar) so I just tacked SMTP on as a near-free bonus.

and -- digressing -- my personal experience is that most mail systems are semi-centralized around smarthosts these days anyways, and most client sendmail configs are forward-only, so I didn't see it as that big a deal. several MUAs include SMTP now, to cut down on "how do I configure sendmail?" support bugs, and it seems to work from a policy angle. mail still flows.

in any case, it would not be difficult to provide a hook to let a user call the MTA of their choice for posting. it's actually easiest for SMTP; the other protocols do a somewhat specialized fetching routine as well, which will be more difficult to describe to a hook. SMTP is post-only.

-graydon