[Monotone-devel] Re: static stuff

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: static stuff
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 19:57:42 -0800

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 10:40:30PM -0500, graydon hoare wrote:
> Nathaniel Smith wrote:
>
> >Is there even any reason to be using adns at this point?
>
> we use adns to look up MX records for mailto: URLs, too. I don't know if
>  there's a similar gethostby* function. maybe there is. personally I
> prefer adns' interface, but I'm not terribly picky.

Ah.  Yeah, I guess one does this with the res_init family of
functions, but these 1) aren't POSIX, and 2) seem rather obscure and
poorly documented.  Grump.

Hrm, another factum to throw into the mix: there was mention earlier
of making monotone LGPL. I don't have a strong preference either way,
and might even lean towards keeping it GPL, but it should be noted
that adns is GPL, so a switch to LGPL would require the removal of
adns.

"But suppose I am not willing to claim that.  For in fact pianos
are heavy, and very few persons can carry a piano all by themselves."