Re: [Monotone-devel] 0.17 "release candidate", last call for bugs...

From: Georg-W. Koltermann
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] 0.17 "release candidate", last call for bugs...
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 23:03:39 +0100

On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 10:24 -0700, Derek Scherger wrote:
> How big is your source tree? I'm going to try and do some similar
> tests
> to see what I can see against a snapshot of the mozilla source tree
> (~26000 files) from a few months ago.

Hi Derek,

my source tree is 6200 files, so only about 10% of the mozilla tree.

> The problem I typically have is that oprofile only says that lots of
> time is spent in c++ collections code and not much about where in the
> monotone code the time is spent. I'm not much of a guru with oprofile
> though. :-/

A while ago I submitted a gprof log of adding a single file to my tree.
My conclusion (not being a profiling expert) was that most time was
spent in calculate_base_manifest().  I suggested to cache the base
manifest somewhere in MT/... and not recalculate it each time.

> At the moment add is still chugging away and it's been going for a
> while
> so I'd agree that performance needs some attention! Oooh... it just
> finished... 34 minutes, real time and user time almost agree so it's
> definitely working pretty hard.

> I assume that you had only one or two revisions in the monotone
> database
> after your tests so they probably don't say anything about working
> with
>   a large graph of revisions?

Right, the initial import was done on a virgin database, the rows up to
"commit single file" were with just that one rev in the database, and
the remaining measurements with two revs in the database (after the
commit).

--
Thanks,
Georg.