Re: [Monotone-devel] [bikeshed] once more on bookkeeping dirs...

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] [bikeshed] once more on bookkeeping dirs...
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 10:26:43 +0100 (CET)

I've been thinking a lot about the issue lately, and this is what I
came up with:

Bookkeeping directory should be something visible.  I really want to
see it when I stand in the root of a monotone-controled directory
tree.  And then, there's the platform issue that I've already
discussed.  Other than that, I don't really care what the name will
be, _MM, MM, _MTN, MTN, _MT, MT, ...

For the configuration directory, it's a bit of a different matter.
There is already a lot of tradition in there, and I see no point in
breaking that too much.  That means it will differ between platforms.
But either way, I would prefer that to have the full name ("monotone")
in it, to make it distinct from the bookkeeping directories if for no
other reason.  So on Unix, I'd like to keep it as it is, ~/.monotone.
I think someone else has already said their piece on Windows about
that.  For the day when I finally get to start a VMS port, I'll have
to think of the right way to do it there (could be a combination of
logical names that point at the place to find things, a text file for
the lua hooks and an indexed file to store keys in, for example).

Cheers,
Richard

-----

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/