[Monotone-devel] Re: [bikeshed] once more on bookkeeping dirs...

From: Lapo Luchini
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: [bikeshed] once more on bookkeeping dirs...
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 21:06:25 +0100

Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> The essence is: do we want the bookkeeping dir to something like:
>   _MTN
>   _mtn
>   .MTN \__ If one of these names, also specify what the configuration
>   .mtn /   dir in ~ should be called
>   .MTN-bookkeeping \__ or other less stupid suffixes accepted
>   .mtn-bookkeeping /   too

Except suggesting "s/bookkeeping/data/" none of these choices "offends" me.
I like the idea of a "trailing something" to avoid having the directory
in the middle of other files (such as in CVS).
I like Larry's idea of +MTN particularly.
It probably doesn't work under DOS, but who cares ;-)

In order of preference:
+MTN
_MTN
.MTN-data (with configuration in .mtn o .monotone, with a slight
preference for the latter)
.MTN (tough I can't find a good name for the configuration dir, .mtn
doesn't cope well with .monotone in the same directory)

About the idea of "-workspace": is it the workspace directory? I tought
it was the "metadata directory", and that the actual "workspace" was the
parent directory.

About changing now or later, I'd suggest changing now: 0.26 already
"breaks the UI" (requiring a flag day and all the such), and doing that
in two version in a row would seem unnecessarily bad.

    Lapo