Re: [Monotone-devel] Speedup chances

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Speedup chances
Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 12:16:28 +0200

Hi,

Christof Petig wrote:
I tested Thursday's net.venge.monotone with binary ids and I don't know
about cached pipes. But this should be easy to speed up (especially
given that, according to Lapo, there is/was a specialized 40 digit hex
decoder in monotone written by Graydon.

Ah, okay, so that's certainly with Zack's cached pipes. Did you test with '--debug'? That's doing lots more hex encoding (not decoding, though).

Some questions that arise here: Why is that specialized hex decoder so much faster that what's in botan? Does it have to be limited to 40 digits? Can the botan decoder be sped up?

Another thing to keep in mind: instead of trying hard to squeeze out the last bits of performance from the decoder, it might rather be possible to avoid en- and decoding steps completely by using a binary roster format - thus also storing binary hashes.

Regards

Markus