Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: OpenEmbedded looking to jump ship

From: Patrick Georgi
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: OpenEmbedded looking to jump ship
Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 14:37:08 +0200

Am Sun, 4 May 2008 08:18:25 +0000 (UTC)
schrieb Holger Freyther <address@hidden>:
>      - git-rev-list origin/qtwebkit.. (to show what I would push now)
> is missing
What's origin - the last server you connected, or the default one?

It should be possible to track a list of head revisions per server (or
the default one, etc.) after each pull or sync, and use "automate
ancestry_difference" to calculate that.
I'd write a wrapper-script for that (as proof of concept, at least), if
we get sorted out, what to check against.

>      - gitk is almost instantly working on the OE tree
what's the complaint here - speed? features?

>      - git-fetch will tell me what was updated, which branches
> created, mtn doesn't have this.
Again, I could write a wrapper script for that (though an inline
variant would be more efficient, avoiding the second "ls branches",
by looking at the incoming packets): ls branches, pull, ls branches,
diff

(I only offer to do wrappers because I don't know the monotone code
base enough for a full integration, and I don't have time currently to
figure it out.)

> I feel forced in a work flow:
>      - git-commit --amend is missing
> ..
>      - git-rebase -i is missing
These two (at least) change history. Monotone has immutable history,
which is a feature.
(amend-commit as a shortcut to kill_rev_locally, then commit could work)

As for the other "forced to a work flow" issues, I don't know what the
git commands provide (and I fear that I won't get a 100% idea from
reading the docs)