Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: OpenEmbedded looking to jump ship

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: OpenEmbedded looking to jump ship
Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 12:53:33 +0200

Holger Freyther schrieb:
I'm feeling blind with monotone:
     - git-rev-list origin/qtwebkit.. (to show what I would push now) is
       missing
     - gitk is almost instantly working on the OE tree
     - git-fetch will tell me what was updated, which branches created,
mtn doesn't have this.

I feel forced in a work flow:
     - git-commit --amend is missing
     - git-add -i is missing
     - git-revert is missing (disapprove does not work on merges... which
       voids the whole concept)
     - git-rebase -i is missing
     - git-merge-tool (okay we don't have an index with mtn, you can not use
       disapprove on a merge and kill_rev_locally will mess up your working
       on a merge...)
     - git-format-patch (my version with mtn diff -r .. -r breaks on merges)
     - git-show (my version with mtn diff -r p:rev -r rev breaks with merges)

Oh, I'm sure we're all quite happy to accept your patches, detailed bug reports and are of course willing to look over any feature branches you may have been prepared!

Sorry, but just ranting that "something doesn't work" or "something is missing" doesn't bring you anywhere if you're working with an Open Source tool. Monotone is a small, nice revision control system. We don't have the man power or even following of git or mercurial.

Thomas.