Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: OpenEmbedded looking to jump ship

From: Patrick Georgi
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: OpenEmbedded looking to jump ship
Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 18:20:52 +0200

Am Sun, 04 May 2008 15:22:54 +0100
schrieb Bruce Stephens <address@hidden>:
> [lots of good explanations about git branch names]
so it would be "mtn-wrapper changes-since-pull server branch", and use
a complete table of heads x server. okay..

> I'd have thought note_netsync_revision_received or something would be
> OK for that?  Maybe one wants a hook that receives all the revisions
> in one go or something?
hmm.. initialize a branch list at the beginning, then check each
incoming revision - could work.. thanks, I didn't think of the hooks!

I'll try to implement those two things next week.

> I'd guess a lot of the other stuff probably relies on git's
> implementation: the DAG contains no branch information, branches are
> files containing the hash of the branch head.  So amending the last
> commit is easy, you just create the new commit and move the branch
> ref.  Similarly you can rewrite sequences of commits in the same way
That could be done by monotone easily, too - but if your previous
revision was pushed, you have two heads now (just that git doesn't
allow for that, "solving" that issue and leaving the old rev for the
garbage collector, because you push a new head at a completely
different location.
... unless someone else started work from your old head already - right?

Which is why I still think that rewriting history is a bad idea. For
monotone it would be more like "reapply (from, to) to (new base rev)".
That isn't _too_ different from just merging.. (just that you have one
new revision at the top, instead of 250 revs. copied to a new location
in the DAG)

Regards,
Patrick