Re: [Monotone-devel] git fast-export

From: Felipe Contreras
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] git fast-export
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 05:30:13 +0200

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 8:50 AM, Derek Scherger <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 7:27 PM, Felipe Contreras
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 1:42 AM, Derek Scherger <address@hidden>
>> wrote:

>> > It's used for revs that have no other branch certs to use.
>>
>> Would it make sense to use another name? "nil", "unknown" or something?
>
> Possibly. It's probably not a big deal to rename it after importing either.

> progress revision a19da46cd3d31611d768b67a772c2861aded46c5 (27501/27501)
>
> real    277m23.646s
> user    251m33.919s
> sys     24m42.357s
>
> For the record I can apparently convert the pidgin database in about 4.5
> hours on a 2.4GHz core 2 which works out to about 1.65 revs per second (0.61
> seconds per rev) on average. The export file is 3.4GB in size.

It seems to speed up at some points, I have tried again two times but
I had issues, I still don't have the numbers but it's probably faster
than what I thought.

> I have not verified this imported repo in any way yet though so who knows
> whether its accurate or not.

I can verify comparing to the output of my tool, but there are some differences:

1) Your tool adds a bunch of "Monotone-" fields, can those be disabled?
2) There's no author mapping, can this option be added?
3) I add the mtn sha1 in refs/mtn/<id>

Only 1) would be required to do a comparison, 2) would be great to
avoid converting the huge repo again without author mappings.

In order to do future updates I think 3) would be really great, that
way it's possible to know if a revision has been imported or not, and
makes possible to do quick lookups like: git show mtn/<sha1>.

--
Felipe Contreras