Re: [Monotone-devel] "memory access violation" in win32 0.42 when cancel

From: Zbigniew Zagórski
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] "memory access violation" in win32 0.42 when canceling blocked `mtn diff --external` using Ctrl+C
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 12:04:42 +0100

Hi,

2009/1/7 Markus Wanner <address@hidden>:
> Can you reproduce what the OP reported?

Unfortunately no (and yes ... see the end)

In fact mtn diff --external doesn't work OOB because it tries to pass
arguments to execute in wrong way or lua execute is broken on win32.
Nevertheless lua execute doesn't quote strings with tabs.  I can't find
definition of lua execute to confirm this.

When I fixed this the only thing i've got after doing "CTRL+C" while
 kdiff3 was running was:

    mtn: botan_pipe_cache.hh:41: invariant 'I(!pipe)' violated
    mtn: saving current work set: 4 items

in debug log.

And all of this was using msys shell. But at some time while writing this post
i realized that windowz has also native shell, so ..

When using cmd as shell I can reproduce the bug and it appears
to be very strange.

I use kdiff3 as external diff tool - just for example.

Test:
 - goto to workspace with >2 modified files
1. execute "mtn diff --external"
   (kdiff3 is spawned)
2.   CTRL+C on terminal
   (kdiff3 lives and ... monotone still lives and ...)
   (at this time crash dump is printed to debug log)
   (second kdiff3 is spawned for next file)
3. Next CTRL+C on terminal
  (no next kdiffs are spawned)
4. Close any of kdiff
  (next kdiff is spawned)
5 Close all kdiffs
  (monotone finally crashes -  reports "fatal: memory access violation...
   " and process ends)
[debug log for session attached]

Well this is strange ... and confirms how badly process control
is messed up on w32.

Daniel, you must have custom "external_diff" hook, could you send it
together with output of failed monotone execution with --debug flag ?

What shell do  you use ?
Do you confirm this kind of strange monotone behaviour or you have
clean crash CTRL+C === monotone crash ?

Best regards,
--
Zbigniew Zagórski
/ software developer / geek / happy daddy /